Saturday, January 14, 2012

Nautical and Nice

I'm spending the weekend at the Naval Academy, and while walking around downtown Annapolis today I mused on how fun it would be to host a nautical party served up colonial style. I'm thinking navy blue, hunter green and red with weathered brass accents. Everything with a slightly beaten and weathered look. Lots of texture. Some natural fibers and maybe some fancy knots.

For instance, while this cake is lovely, it politely suggests Martha's Vineyard  while denying me entry to its private yacht club.
From Hostess with the Mostess
This cake would serve me lemonade. The party I'm talking about has stiff tavern punches with at least a fifth of rum. In lieu of cake, there is rustic apple pie. There are oil lamps, and delicious crusty bread and whipped butter. Throw in some rowdy parlor games for good measure, and we have a recipe for a wonderful event. 

Maybe some day I'll live on some water, or at least have a pool, and we can make this one a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment